The Department of Pathology of Government Medical College (GMC), Ambikapur, is committed to nurturing an academic environment conducive to acquiring and imparting high-quality education, conducting innovative scientific research and providing patient beneficiary medical services.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES:
Our department aims at nurturing, teaching and training healthcare professionals; capable of providing empathetic, humanistic and ethical medical care of national standards.
- Achieving the aspirations of the National Health Policy by training doctors who can provide a quality healthcare to the patients.
- Creating an academic environment which attracts distinguished faculty and promotes their professional development.
- Providing ample opportunities for continuous professional development for our faculty by providing infrastructure, financial support and an academic environment conducive to research and publication along with lifelong self- directed learning.
- Establishing and maintaining academic connections with other institutions for promotion of collaborative learning by exchange of ideas, knowledge and resources.
The Department of Pathology established in 2016. We have been keen in introducing set ups for various new facilities as well as improvising the existing ones in this short span of time. Presently, it has got the following important Laboratory establishments for teaching and patient’s services involving specialized technical skills :
- Clinical Pathology/ Haematology Lab
- Cytopathology Lab
- Clinical Pathology outdoor collection and report dispatch centre (OPD 7)
- UG Practical Lab
- U.G.Seminar/ Demonstration Room.
- Blood Bank
Presently Department is performing about 150-200 investigations for the patients per day. Manual as well as automated facilities are available as per the requisition. Autoanalysers are available for quick and accurate analysis as well as consultative services are available for diagnosis of haematological and cytological diseases. The department is focused to provide high quality yet cost effective referral service to avoid diagnostic difficulties for poor patients.
Blood Bank has a well established setup and is catering 24 hour services to a large area in and around Ambikapur. Well trained technicians and a Medical officer look after the services round the clock.
Our department caters teaching of students of MBBS second professional year. There are total 100 students admitted per batch from all parts of the country pursuing undergraduate course admitted through transparent All India Entrance Tests.
We emphasize on teaching theory as well as practical aspects of pathology. We involve various modalities for impactful teaching like flash cards, charts, power point presentations along with teaching clinical haematology and gross morphology and microscopy of histopathological tissues and specimen.
We provide an open and non threatening learning environment to students. We also organize Regular seminars & Orientation Programmes are being held for students at each stage of their development to help them cope with new challenges as they advance in their academic years. We vigilantly look after their teaching curriculum, smooth running of classes, practical classes and also take regular Sessional & participate actively in conducting their exams including as a scrutinizer.
We also provide teachings to nursing students thrice a week, to improvise their knowledge about pathological basis of disease which may help them become better caregivers practically.
We aim at building a department with standards comparable to highly qualified centres of our country. We have initiated working on establishing a well equipped histopathology lab for processing and analysis of biopsies and operative specimen. We also aim at improvising our Haematology section by upgrading equipments.